Getting a new puppy is easily one of the most exciting experiences imaginable. It can also be incredibly daunting, especially if you’ve never raised one before. Whether you’ve done this a million times and just want a refresher, or you’re totally new to the puppy game – you want to make sure you do it right, and give your new ball of fluff the best start possible. There will be a lot of trial and error, which is to be expected, but why not get a head start by gleaning some expert knowledge? Below we look into five of the best puppy training books currently available.
The top picks for our best puppy training books are all kind, fair and force free.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best puppy training books
- 2 Puppy Raising
- 3 Trick Training for Puppies
- 4 Conclusion
Best puppy training books
How to Housebreak, Fast!
The first thing almost any new puppy or dog owner wants to get a handle on is how to get their new best friend house-trained.
How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days by Shirlee Kalstone
focuses on just that. Her book is a quick read and:
- Provides a foolproof step-by-step program for any home situation – apartment dwellers, home owners, full-time-workers,
- Gives insight into how to identify your dog’s natural rhythms and use them advantageously
- Shares what to do when things don’t go as planned such as lapses in housetraining, separation anxiety, health worries and more.
- Includes sample schedules and timetables as well as other resources to streamline the housebreaking process
- Can be used for puppies and older dogs alike
If you’re looking for all-purpose, cover-all-bases guides, then the following titles are some of the best puppy training books you could find. Each written by experts in the field, in easy-to-follow language with high reader and puppy satisfaction.
Perfect Puppy in 7 Days by Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
- More than 400 images to visually aid
- Helps with housebreaking, socialisation, teaching life skills and more
- Step-by-step recipe for bonding and learning to communicate with your new friend
- Contains charts for you to track your puppy’s progress
- “With Dr Yin’s approach, your puppy will learn more in a week than many dogs learn in a year!”
Puppy Start Right by Kenneth Martin, DVM and Debbie Martin, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP
- More than just a puppy book about socialisation
- Excellent focus on problem solving and prevention of bad behaviours
- Includes chapters on critical developmental periods and how dogs learn
- Gives a great introduction to training for those new to it, as well as foundation exercises that every dog should learn
The Puppy Primer by Patricia B. McConnell PhD.
- Used by thousands of trainers across the U.S.
- Provides information that is clear and concise
- Is fun and engaging
- Format provides an easy to follow weekly formula, to prevent you getting flustered and overwhelmed
- Topics include socialisation, house training, puppy biting, beginning obedience training, appropriate play and much much more.
Trick Training for Puppies
Sometimes you want to take a break from all the serious stuff and just have some fun. Trick training is the perfect solution. It allows you to take a load off while still keeping your puppy engaged. It’s also a wonderful way to bond with your puppy without any of the pressure. The tricks don’t need to be perfect or precise, and your dog still gets to use his mind – which he loves doing!
Kyra Sundance has performed live acrobatic shows for TV shows such as Ellen and The Tonight Show, been a set trainer on movies such as “Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2” and written the international best-selling book: 101 Dog Tricks. Not long after, she released 51 Puppy Tricks.
- Specifically shows tricks that are safe and suitable for young puppies to learn
- Has pictures with step-by-step instructions on how to train each of the 51 tricks
- Is excellent for both absolute beginners to dog training and advanced readers alike
- Is loved by readers of all ages
If you want even more tricks to train, or have an older dog that can handle more advanced motions, definitely give her original book 101 Dog Tricks a look too! (Amazon|Book Depository – Free worldwide delivery)
Short, sweet and easy to digest – those were five of the best puppy training books on the market. All five fair, force free and family friendly. If you have an adult dog, or would like to prepare for your soon to be adult dog, take a look at our post Sharpening The Axe for even more dog training books.